Thursday, January 13, 2011

Canon EF85mm F/1.8 USM

Today I'd like to talk about a new Canon lens recently.

I have been using my Canon EF85mm F/1.8 USM on 50D. It is a fantastic lens I have ever used. This is obvious because I wanted to experiment a Canon USM lens. I have owned EF-S18-200mm F/3.5-5.6 IS.

If I personally can tell my opinion both of those lenses then you might understand why EF85mm F/1.8 is a nice lens. Most people presume USM is quicker focus speed than non-USM lenses. In these case, my answer is Yes. However, EF-S18-200mm F/3.5-5.6 IS provides a quick auto focus speed at decent light circumstances. I was initially believing USM lens do much quicker auto focus but I am not convinced the speed of auto focus. If you use 'one shot' mode. At the current experience, I can not tell advantages of using the lens for moving object.

EF85mm F/1.8 USM is much quieter than EF-S 18-200mm F/3.5-5.6 IS. For my use, I don't usually take photographs in a very quiet environment so I don't get a benefit from USM performance in noise factor.

It is not difficult to find purple fringe if you take a photo in a bright condition such as wave at beach. If you like to catch a wind surfer with his/her actions with splash of water, it will be very easy to find the matter. Does it sound negative? If you take this in the way, I need to let you know what I like. This is a unique attitude of EF85mm F/1.8 USM. I take this attitude positive way.

This is a very fast lens. F/1.8 will provide a nice blur at out of focus area. If you want to isolate a subject from others, the wide open aperture lets you take a nice creative photograph. In my case, I use F/1.8 when I take a flower in bunch of flowers. So I can get a beautiful background and a focused subject. but I can't make an additional story for the photograph. I think a nice photography has always a nice title and a brief comment.

I have written and thought about beneficial aspects so far, and have found I am probably not experiencing enough to talk about EF85mm F/1.8 USM.  Although I am enjoying to take photos with it.

No comments:

Post a Comment